Saturday, May 26, 2007

Finally ..garden pics














In this little plot, I have several squashes that ended up much bigger than expected. I say expected, since in the few years before, I was never lucky enough to even get that far as the bugs ate the young squash plants. Below you can see two tomato plants. On the left, I forgot the type but it's definitely a 'big' one. The one on the right is a cherry tomato one. It's got oodles of green little tomatoes which no doubt will all ripen at the same time! I tried to practice companion planting so I have 3 parsleys. Two italian and one curly one to the left. I also planted onions in between, horehound which supposedly makes the tomato plant 'healty'. That and pennyroyal which is a very invasive mint plant that is not for consumption and definitely needs to be kept in check.














Speaking of cherry tomatoes.. you can see the big squash leaves and the spear mint to the left. Tansy in the background.













Can anyone tell me what kind of squash this is? The plant itself grew huge and to think I planted it from seed! Someone gave me the seed and I forgot what kind of squash it is. It would help to know so I'd know how to prepare it. Of course it would also help if I called the 'donor' and asked her what it was again! lol














Look at that big zuchini! I found out that next to it, I had also planted a yellow squash (they so look alike when they're little, I lost track). I planted beans to go with the eggplant but it's gettin' kinda crowded ya know? Next to this squash plant, I have one cucumber. Surrounded by radishes as cucumbers apparently do not like herbs etc. I planted nasturtiums in between the squashes. The beans are supposed to support the eggplant. Did I mention I also have creeping thyme (in between the tomatoes) and basil??


4 comments:

Greg Hardwick said...

Don't you just love it when the garden starts producing. Makes me want to get out there and get my garden back in order. The winter is approaching here and I'm hoping to get those castings from the busy little worms and spread them around under the mulch. I was just about to go outside and a big thunderstorm hit. Not the usual time of year for storms, but the rain was welcome.
Greg

Ingrid said...

Greg, I'm pretty happy with the veggies. It has been raining more than usual and hence, the plants are loving it. I also have worm casings within the soil and I am hoping to get into worm composting this summer. Someone has invited me to come and check out her indoor wormcomposting set up, and I would love to do it myself. Growing up in Holland, I got kinda depressed from the rain (farmers would complain we'd have too much of it), now, growing veggies, I'm always happy. Texas was in drought conditions for a few years and with the excess rains we've been having this year, we are officially out of the drought! Hopefully this will continue..
good luck with your winter garden. It's quite fun to see the results isn't it?
Ingrid

Utah Savage said...

Ingrid, I'm wildly off topic, and if I could figure out how to email you I wouldn't do this here, but have you read the four stories that comprise the Judith Blue series? If so and you you think they could be turned into a screenplay how about a collaboration?

Permie333 said...

Like your garden. It is a nice size and it looks like its very productive.

I really like your blog too! I have linked to it from mine.

I saw Jenny's from yours too, and hers is great. Local permies...

Thx! permiesepulveda333