Tuesday, June 12, 2007

City of Austin promotes sustainability

Sustainaballe, sustainable shoppers ball in Austin Texas.






This is a great city to live in if you're green. The city is very responsible and supportive of sustainability in all areas; from building and construction (see the Austin Green Energy Building )to indoor quality and supporting local businesses. Check out the title link.

Green living in your home is time consuming in that you need to learn quite a bit before you can convince yourself that it's worth the money. That is the sad side effect of living green; it will cost you more green to do so. Still, every little step towards it will give you a better feeling.. check out this site, 'greening your home', and learn a little.. Or best yet, check out the magazine, Green Living. I'll be the first to admit it ain't easy being green, but it takes just one little step at a time.

What do you do in terms of sustainability in your daily life? Are you full force, all in? Or are you a 'twelve stepper', one thing at a time?

10 comments:

Mary said...

I haven't used my AC yet. I hang my clothes on the line rather than use the dryer. I am SLOWLY switching the light bulbs. I try to buy organic and I bring my own canvas bags to the grocery store. I recycle. Unplugging small appliances is a big challenge as everyone comes along and plugs them back in. My husband does not buy that one as he thinks he knows everything abotu electricity and thinks the current is broken or something. I have recently been NOT serving meat a few nights a week. I could cut it all out no problem but the family wants it.
I add anything I can as I learn.

Zee said...

I just want to say hello... and that I am working towards the same direction.
I recently bought a moped (48cc) and get my milk and other groceries with that thing. It sports over 100 miles a gallon of petrol consumption.

Anonymous said...

I recycle. I take one step at a time. I make as small an impact on the environment as I can, but I don't avoid stepping on the grass.

Utah Savage said...

The first thing I did was switch all the light bulbs. I use the cieling fan mostly instead of the swamp cooler. I'm doing my damndest to not water grass--hoping to xeriscape next spring. I do have huge old trees on my property--I am the only one in my neighborhood who does--so this cuts down on the heat a little. Baby steps, but making my effort. My 23 year old Jetta gets better milage than the ones on the market now, so I keep it running, and the taxes on it are cheap. I'd trying to do my part in small steps. I buy wind generated electricity to encourage the power companies to get with the program.

Mariamariacuchita said...

Well, it is so hot here in Austin that I do use AC, but keep the thermostat up. I recycle, walk instead of drive when possible, changed out lightbulbs, but there is so much more I could do.

Ingrid said...

well hello! I've seen you over at Blueberry's'.. did not know you were an Austinite as well..

I've been such a slacker on this blog..I've been a whole lot more active on bloggerroundtable since the russia-georgia thing started..

thx for stopping by..I'm hoping to order james lovelock's 'revenge of gaia' so i can post on it..he's stepping out of the fold but seemed to have given it a lot of thought...

see you around!

Ingrid

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

I'm a six stepper... Ingrid, thank you for visiting my blog, I have added you to Echoing Voices Against War... I should start another blogger link list and call it Green Bloggers...?

By the way, a six stepper is the best I can achieve at this juncture. Perhaps I can make it down to the preferable 'one step(per)' in the near future.

Peace...

Mariamariacuchita said...

We just moved to south Austin ,so I really need to get this checked out, just as soon as I unpack and get settled.

Utah Savage said...

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Utah Savage said...

I've missed you. What's up?